Sunday, October 5, 2008

Thoughts on Conference

I thought I would share a few thoughts on conference. I really enjoyed all the sessions, and have several favorite talks that I will print out as soon as they are available. First, I was excited about the five new temples announced, and especially about one in Rome!

Elder Perry's talk on a simplified life really touched me as a view to take while the world goes crazy with the economy stress. If we just worry about the key things-physical and spiritual, we will be okay. I enjoyed Elder Andersen's theme of "you don't know everything, but you know enough" with faith in Christ being enough. I also found the idea of deciding to rely on our faith in trials really powerful. The hymn the choir sang - "Come Ye Children of the Lord" for some reason had me in tears and longing for the time when the Savior comes. Elder Oaks talk about the sacredness of Sacrament meeting was a powerful reminder of something it is a little too easy to get complacent about.

The two talks on Hope and Unity were both awesome, and first on my list to print. First Elder Uchtdorf's which focused on hope and its power, and how it is a commandment to use hope to move us forward to salvation. It is hope that is the opposite of despair, and is its antidote. The other was Elder Eyrings, which focused on unity and hope. He said we are doing better-we are praying and pleading for unity and our prayers are being answered. When our hearts are knit together, we are magnified in our power. I just think this is so important in families and in the church, and is the pathway to overcoming the problems of this world. Elder Christofferson also talked about unity and Zion and how we are to be beacons of righteousness to those who want out of Babylon. That supports the idea of unity overcoming the world!

Another talk I want right away is Elder Holland's on angels. I loved how he testified that angels exist and they still are sent to help us. Sometimes angels are seen and sometimes unseen. Sometimes they warn but most often they give comfort. I have had unseen angels give me comfort often in this past year and a half. I also found comfort in the reminder that God will fight our battles, and He will win.

And our prophet counseled us to realize change is inevitable but to find joy in the journey. I love that positive attitude. I have often thought of this idea--to bloom where you are planted and joy in the journey. I have tried to be content with where I am and enjoy the moments along the way, though I have sometimes fallen short. I totally agree that gratitude will help in finding the joy in the journey.

I would love to hear your thoughts on conference and know what your favorites were.


4 comments:

Ratliffs said...

That would be tough...I just tried writing about it in my journal, and I just can't put it into words. I know that I felt that this conference was totally inspired. What wonderful talks! The other thing that I noticed was that there was something in every talk that I could take into my life. Some I had to look a little farther into, others it was right there on the surface. I think I could listen and re-listen to conference this year and not get bored! (This is the first time that I have felt that way.) There were a few talks that we were unable to hear...all of Saturday afternoon, in fact (we were at Relay for Life), so I will have to go and check those ones out as soon as they are available. One that I really, really enjoyed (besides most of the ones that you listed) was President Monsons last talk this morning. I missed the first half of it, due to a meeting that I was trying to get ready for, but what I did catch was awesome! Trevor and I both want to listen to that one again! Maybe because of the content of that talk being just what I need to hear as a young mother, I don't know...but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be that one. (And I only listened to half of it!!)

Stacey said...

Mom, I think you said it all to be honest. I loved all th talks you mentioned. I look forward to going back and reading many of them and taking them into my heart and life.

One talk that honestly sticks out to me a lot still is Elder Uchdorf's from the RS boradcast last week. It was definitely someting I need to work on and a good reminder that we are better than we think we are.

Overall, it was a wonderful conference.

templework said...

I, too, think you summed it up quite well - thank you
and
Thank you for the example you set for all of us and your sweet spirit.

((HUGS))

Verity said...

I have to agree--all your favorite talks were my favorite talks. I also LOVED Elder Wirthlin's talk. Can't wait to get them all on my iPod!